Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Book Meme, AKA --ah, fer cryin' out loud, Jean



Well, I was about to turn in, and Jean over at Catholic Fire left me a note that she'd tagged me on a book meme. Here are the rules:

Rules:
1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.

I look down, and what do I see? The book I had out earlier today, i peridvizhniki, (The Wanderers) which I'd grabbed from my bookshelf when I did the procession post. It's artsy-fartsy. It's also in Russian. Guess who doesn't have the energy at this hour to deal with a cyrillic font. IF you said "Karen" you were right. But I do have a scanner....which is why this flipping picture is sideways. Jean, you asked for it, you got it. I'd translate it, but the third sentence is a bitch of a run on sentence and I've already taken my contacts out and I'm not putting them back in at this hour to look up taxing verb forms. Maybe tomorrow. Or, I guess at this hour that's later today.

The five people I tag are:

1. Jackie Parkes
2. Mulier-Fortis
3. Swiss Miss
4. Digihairshirt
5. Father Boyle
.

8 comments:

Jean Heimann said...

LOL, Karen! You are too funny! Thanks for doing this.

gemoftheocean said...

Lord Almight Jean, do you live in Hawaii? I thought I was up late!

Karen

The Digital Hairshirt said...

Karen, impressive. I looked it over and while I could decipher some of it, it made me realize how much of my Russian I have fogotten. I should make an effort to revive that knowledge since it would help keep the brain cells from dying. Vot ee tak, dyehvooshka, da?

I am at my husband's desk and trust me, you don't want to hear what the nearest books says (its title is "Java Persistence with Hibernate" - all you geeks, you may start salivating now). When I am at work, I will respond to the meme.

Father John Boyle said...

5th sentence: "What more would you wish?" From The Sermons of St Francis de Sales for Lent given in 1622. He goes on: "That God would send you an angel to comfort you? Oh, He will not do it; you have not yet fasted three days and three nights to follow Him on the mountain of perfection, for the attainment of which you must forget yourself, leaving to God the care to comfort you according to His good pleasure; and not troubling yourself or caring for anything but to follow after Him, while listening to His words, as these good people did."

There you have it!

gemoftheocean said...

Fr. Boyle: Well, then that explains why I haven't been visited by any. THREE days and THREE nights? Gee-whiz, even the Mohammedans get to eat after sundown.

Digi: You're right about the brain cells. The first two sentences weren't bad. And then I looked at the third and remembered why reading the language was easier than speaking it. It's like those matrushka dolls or however you spell it. Or peeling back an onion. Very rewarding and it's fun unraveling the enigma, but boy there better be something in there more profound than "Remember to drink your Ovaltine."

Karen

gemoftheocean said...

Digi...it would help if I grab some of the vids I have with Russian. Moscow on the Hudson for one. BTW, once I got to see the original Twelves Chairs in Russian. I would kill for a copy, but darned if I can find it.

Stati, moye pristaznaya schto-to zahromela. [By the way, my trace horse has gone lame. -- A. Chekov. Not a particularly useful sentence in real life nowadays, but a fun one to say.]

EC Gefroh said...

LOL Karen. BTW, I usually call it a night before you and Jean do :-)

Mulier Fortis said...

Forgot to say I'm done... but you already figured it out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...