Search This Blog

Monday, April 6, 2009

Phew! Made it through another Palm Sunday


...without "incident." Every Palm Sunday I always get to the sacristy and hold my breath that "they" have not done us in at the Sunday 5:15 Mass. What would be the ONE thing NOT to run out of on Palm Sunday?


Right.


I always get to the sacristy "extra early" on big event days. If something *can* go wrong, it will always be on a day when you have little time to spare. 15-20 years ago, I'd gotten to the sacristy good and early to make sure everything was okay. Well, it wasn't. There weren't but a HANDFUL of Palms. Literally. Someone hadn't set aside ANY for the Sunday 5:15, or people just grabbed them ALL after the last morning Mass. Bupkis. Nada. ZERO. Zippity-do-dah.


Well, I did what anyone would do under such circumstances. Fortunately, THAT particular Palm Sunday we had four lovely huge cut palm branches adorning the sanctuary. Check that. By the time Mass started, we had TWO lovely huge cut palm branches adorning the sanctuary...and lots of palms to give out. Glad I've always accounted for the "what ifs" and still give a sigh of relief not to ever have had to get "hangar queen" palms on Palm Sunday since then.


The picture above is one I took tonight of our tabernacle. I'm sorry I didn't take an actual closeup. This pic is cropped from one I took of the sanctuary from further back. The palm with roses was particularly lovely.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should be in the Military, being so quick-witted! Bravo!

Fr. Erik Richtsteig said...

Ah come on Karen, people should be able to take 15 palms each so they can do their palm origami.

gemoftheocean said...

Phil, I'm calm in a crisis. It's afterwards that I fall apart. I think "Jumpmaster" would be fun, they'd have gladly jumped out of the plane rather than have me yelling at them to "Move, MOVE." ;-D

Fr. Erik, of course, then people can present you with 56 woven palm crosses to put all around the rectory rooms. They want to make sure you don't run out. You'd think at least one of them would make one in the shape of an Easter Bunny, but NO....no imagination whatsoever.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...