Search This Blog

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Decisions, Decisions....

Where to go to Mass tonight. I think I'm ruling out the EF at St. Anne's. I've been going there for Mon and Tues a.m. Masses before work, and Friday evening and Saturday. But it's kind of small, and I think it will be packed - so that rules that out - plus, it's doubtful I can grab my seat of preference, which is the seat in the front pew, extreme right. It's the one I can see the chalice from. A "must" for me.

I'm ruling out my own parish...because my own pastor might well adlib enough to make me want to scream. I suppose I could go up to the Mission, they do nice ones, but then...just...no. Not enough elbow room to swing a cat. I'm ruling out St. Therese. Big church, lots of room BUT, the priest there is a shade folksy...and I'm not in the mood for "folksy" right now.

Mentally, it's down to Holy Angels, the Byzantine Rite. I haven't favored it with my presence this year yet, but I'm feeling sentimental and I'll feel the presense of my mother and grandmother especially. But another friend, who does have lung issues, might want to go with me, and in that case I'd have to rule it out, because it will be a trip to the ER as well. Holy Angels uses more incense in a week than most western rite churches use in a month. If I don't go here, I'll be sure to go Easter Monday and Tues, IF they do Mass at night.

Which leaves St. Charles. Big church, with little chance of incense "issues." NO, but they do a nice service.

I wish I could bi-locate.

7 comments:

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

I know the feeling, I have decisions of my own to make, the drive to St. Anne's which thanks to the rear ending of my car ain't happening. The drive to my regular parish St. Therese where no headaches will be found Liturgically, St. Lorenzo's where Liturgical Hell takes place, so many choices, so little time.

gemoftheocean said...

Sounds like "St. Therese, here I come." ;-D Sorry about that accident. Bummer, and bad timing on top of everything. I can take the Good Friday at my own parish, since it's not a Mass the pastor doesn't feel the need to "make it personal." [ugh!] and the liturgy isn't one he does all the time so it's not one he has demonstrated a particular urge to be "Creative" with. But then....I've BEEN going every Fri. in Lent to St. Anne's...so... I dunno yet.

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

;), actually, my car's in the shop, so it's Liturgical Hell for the next 3 days. I think between the priest at your parish and the one at my old parish where i'll be going it should be major points off of purgatory for us, haha.

Anonymous said...

In Utah, there are not that many churches to choose from--but I have been extremely blessed by the holiness of my priest and deacon--God has been kind to me--cause I need all the help I can get.

gemoftheocean said...

Heck Tara, when you have "The Terminator" as your priest, I'd be afraid to look elsewhere! ;-D

[There were a number of other churches I could have chosen too. 1 I ruled out because of "parking" on such a day... though if my parking genie was not on strike, I'd have considered it--best NO Masses in town. St. John the Evangelist.]

Joe said...

The Community of St John now have care of the parish in Canning Town, and are offering retreat talks on Good Friday and Holy Saturday. Like you, I spent Thursday undecided ... and then went for it, driving through the east end of London (UK, that is) to get there. On Friday I did it by bus, to avoid parking problems. Will drive through for the Vigil later tonight. Worth the travel, but it is sad that we find ourselves making decisions like this.

gemoftheocean said...

Joe, (UK) --- actually, I think it's kind of nice if you have choices depending on your mood!

:-D Tonight we're going to go over to St. Charles this evening (NO) but they do a nice job and their pastor doesn't get irritating by adding Mr. Personality stuff to it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...