Search This Blog

Friday, March 20, 2009

Mermaid Update

I started going to the Kroc Center to do swimming Jan. 21. So far I've swum 22 miles...not quite enough to make it to Santa Catalina ♫, but if memory serves far enough to have swum the channel.

Need to get a new suit already as the one I have is hanging on me. Dropped a trouser size and a bit. Still have a ways to go before sveltitudeness is achieved, but unless I get lazy should make great progress by end of summer if I keep it up.


I must say I like this form of exercise, I don't feel like I'm slogging along in my own sweat. On the weekdays if I swim before work I started doing 1/2 miles, and almost a month ago I started doing 3/4 mile as my base a.m. workout. If I go in on the weekend I've done as much as two miles a workout. (This past Sunday. Took me ages!) This a.m. I did the .75 at 59 minutes. In the beginning it took me 50 minutes to do a half mile. I just do an elongated dog paddle and the backstroke, so that's why the times are slow. I don't feel like taking my contacts in and out, so I keep my eyes out of the water. I think I'm starting to grow gills. Haven't changed my diet a bit so still hitting pizza and hot dogs. And Starbucks carmel cider is addictive. I treat myself before Monday a.m. Mass. I'm usually in the water 5 days out of 7 unless *stuff happens* happened.


7 comments:

Kelly said...

YOU GO! I am inspired now to get off my a**...lol. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Totally off-topic, but don't know if you're aware that President Obama has been invited to give the commencement speech at Notre Dame this May.
Rosemary at Catholic Mother's Thoughts has kindly provided a link to the Office of the President of Notre Dame to send an e-mail, expressing outrage about the invitation.

gemoftheocean said...

Thanks, Kelly. I really haven't done zipworth different -- expect swim. No "diet" no other exercise.

Gail, thanks for the heads up. That is an outrage.

Years ago, there was some talk about having a notorious pro-abort give a commencement speach. I doubt it was just me, but I did contact them to say I intended to picket with signs et al. It didn't come to pass.

ukok said...

Congrats on the slimming and toning you have achieved through swimming regularly. Well done you!

gemoftheocean said...

Thanks, I think it's the toning bit that I like the most and it's been without stress on any joints (my right knee in particular, HATES standing for long periods and walking - but it doesn't bitch swimming, as long as I dont' kick anything more than a slow flutter kick.]

The one thing I find I DO have is a craving for salt and vinegar potatoe chips. [Yes, "Potatoe" is an hommage to Dan Quayle!]

gemoftheocean said...

[And I DO eat the chips...yes, I know salt makes you retain, however, I figure it's my body wanting replacement salt after all that swimming. did a mile today. I usually don't go Sat. but it's likely to rain tomorrow afternoon when I'd normally go before Mass.]

Kit said...

That's fabulous Karen...and so are you. But we knew that...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...