Search This Blog

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Thank You, Military Chaplains!

Now:


(Mass aboard the USS Ronald Reagan - photo in public domain taken by by Photographer's Mate 3rd Class Dominique M. Lasco - Feb/2006)

And then:


(NY 69th Regiment, taken some time during the US Civil War)

It strikes me how even 140 some odd years apart, the composure on the faces of the congregants is about the same. There seem to be some Confederate soldiers (prisoners I expect) in the foreground. There are also some ladies present, I expect wives of the commanding officers. But if anyone knows more about this latter photo, please tell me. I expect it might be a Matthew Brady.

7 comments:

ArchAngel's Advocate said...

I found the photo on the front cover of this book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0195121287/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-2027698-2172814#reader-link
I think you'll find the answer to your question on the back cover of the excepts section.

ArchAngel's Advocate said...

Some more on the chaplin in the picture here: http://www.sixtyninth.net/gpage5.html
Apparently he was a bit of a "thorn-in-the-side" to his superiors...

ArchAngel's Advocate said...

I found the original credit for the photo at
http://www.archives.gov/research/civil-war/photos/
Look at item #40.

gemoftheocean said...

AA your 1st and 2nd link is incomplete and I would love to see what the heck you are pointing to.

try this geewhizbang tip

copy yuor link location. type a left angle bracket the letter a a space the word href= then a full quote and do a paste end with a full quote and an angle brack type something bitchen like link here then then type a left angle brack a forward slash the letter a and a right angle bracketd. Most computer geeks know that, but I do it for the edification of the non geeks who don't want to be told "dude your fraking link is broken because it ran wider than a column and as is usually intuitively obvious to the most casual of observer got truncated."

Thanks that or just give me the title of the book and I can do an amazon. :-D

Thanks. I'll go look at the 2nd link.

ArchAngel's Advocate said...

These are in the same order as previous posts & have been tested.
Site #1
Site #2
Site #3

gemoftheocean said...

AA: Thanks ♫.

ArchAngel's Advocate said...

Ihre willkommen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...