Search This Blog

Thursday, December 13, 2007

He was a credit to his Gender!


I've lifted the line from Linda Ronstadt's "Poor, Poor Pitiful Me." Have been having a bitch of a week, on top of which I've come down with that cold "everyone's" been passing around. Yesterday, I absolutely had to get down to Home Depot [a mega store for hardware] for a few items. I must have looked like the Dawn of the Living Dead as I schlepped through the parking lot. I smiled a tad at a male employee a bit older than me as our paths crossed. Rather than just return the smile and say "hello" or "welcome" [not unusual in the US] he said "Hello dear, nice to see you!" [the "dear" was above and beyond the call of duty] and gave me a big smile. I'd felt the pits all day, but that little bit of kindness went a long way on an otherwise crummy day. Now that's what I call "customer service."

(Sorry, meant to post this last night, but I fell asleep in the armchair! I zoned out trying to come up with a suitable pic. Still fighting this stupid cold, and I've still got to go downtown today. Ugh.)
.

10 comments:

ArchAngel's Advocate said...

I mlike that line too, but I prefer Terry Clark's rendition (must be that country twang...)

xxxxxx said...

Isn't that the truth? Sometimes just a little lift like that can change a bad mood.

Hope everything is better, that you are recovering from your cold.

Can I link to you (actually I already did, but thought I would ask you to be certain)?

gemoftheocean said...

Hey Diana, Ah- I've linked to your site for a while! But I don't think I looked at your profile -- I wondered who was reading me from the great state of Wisconsin.... of course anyone who loves Whatever happened to Baby Jane AND Ella Fitzgerald can add me to their blogroll! [And so can you other people too, but Betty Davis/Joan Crawford bitch movies are the bomb.]

AA: Linda had that twang too! IIRC that came out my Junior or Senior year in college, we'd do midnight doughnut runs up to VGs in Solano Beach and we'd sing ALL that stuff on the way up and back. Somehow you hate to sing "straight" , but you don't mind making an ass of yourself if you are imitating country and western.... " -- "Ya picked a fine time to leave me Lucille, Four HUNDRED children, and a crop in the field...." [Now we "knew" it was supposed to be "four hungry children" but so help me with the accent it sounded like "four HUNDRED." I'm all for big families and all that but I'd think you'd want to get up from the mattress once in a while....

Karen

ArchAngel's Advocate said...

Karen, I was listening to classical in High School (Escondido High that is, the "Cougars!") but I remeber going to Solano to swim (got so burned that I'm surpirsed I didn't get cancer!). I developed a taste for country after I graduated from college (I need a type of music that didn't take itself too seriously. After all, what better religious song is there than "Drop Kick Me Jesus Thru the Goalposts of Life"?) ;-)) LOL

Ebeth said...

Hey Karen,

Hope you start feeling better soon. You know, you have a great post here, if everyone knew the impact they have on others...even those they just see in passing.....and cared...we may have a nicer society, yes even in the US!

Sorry you are sick...everybody had it here at the pillars last week.

Ebeth

gemoftheocean said...

AA: What year did you graduate? A friend of mine's daughter went there and she's in her mid 30s now.

Ebeth, thanks. I think overall we're pretty nice as a whole - but sometimes somebody really goes that extra bit that can mean so much!

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how just one smile or greeting when your feeling lousy can make you feel so much better--hope your cold is gone.

ArchAngel's Advocate said...

Graduated in 1975. A brother of mine graduated in 1977 and the last in 1978.

gemoftheocean said...

Ah, AA -- then happy 50th! or 51st if you're coming up on it. We're more contemporary than I realized.

Uni High, class of '74.

K.
[Anita is about 15 years younger than we are.]

ArchAngel's Advocate said...

The 5-0 was the day after Thanksgiving. My uncles went to Uni. Last name is Griesgraber...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...