Search This Blog

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Thank You Veterans


Today is Vet-
erans Day in the US.
This is the day we thank all who have served in the Armed Forces [For my UK readers, we have a Memorial Day in May that is closer to your Remembrance Day.]

I'd like to honor my close relatives who served in the military:

Father:
Edward H. Horn: US Air Force reg/. Navy Reserve (Korea)

Grandfather:
Andrew Shelak, Sr.: US Army (WWI)

Uncles:
Andrew Shelak, Jr.: US Army (Korea)
John Shelak, Sr.: US Marine Corp (WWII)
John Sawka, Sr.: US Navy (WWII)
Joseph Michur: US Army (WWII)
Rowland Kreglow: US Marine Corp (Korea)
Leonard Chowansky: US Army (Korea)

Cousins:
John Shelak, Jr.: US Army (Vietnam)
James Shelak: US Army (Vietnam)
John Sawka, Jr. US Army (Vietnam)
Andrew Sawka: US Marine Corp (Vietnam)

There were also more Andrews, Johns, and Joes in the family + two other cousins with the same first and last names, plus a couple of Michaels. When talking each other sometimes we had to be really specific about which "John, Andy or Joe" you meant! Growing up I always assumed "everybody's" dad or uncle or cousin had served. And with a lot of my friends, that was so. [Being born in the 50s pretty much guaranteed that that would be the case a lot of the time.] But I find that's not the case as much any more.

90th Psalm Douay-Rheims

1 The praise of a canticle for David. He that dwelleth in the aid of the most High, shall abide under the protection of the God of Jacob. 2 He shall say to the Lord: Thou art my protector, and my refuge: my God, in him will I trust. 3 For he hath delivered me from the snare of the hunters: and from the sharp word. 4 He will overshadow thee with his shoulders: and under his wings thou shalt trust. 5 His truth shall compass thee with a shield: thou shalt not be afraid of the terror of the night.

6 Of the arrow that flieth in the day, of the business that walketh about in the dark: of invasion, or of the noonday devil. 7 A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand: but it shall not come nigh thee. 8 But thou shalt consider with thy eyes: and shalt see the reward of the wicked. 9 Because thou, O Lord, art my hope: thou hast made the most High thy refuge. 10 There shall no evil come to thee: nor shall the scourge come near thy dwelling.

11 For he hath given his angels charge over thee; to keep thee in all thy ways. 12 In their hands they shall bear thee up: lest thou dash thy foot against a stone. 13 Thou shalt walk upon the asp and the basilisk: and thou shalt trample under foot the lion and the dragon. 14 Because he hoped in me I will deliver him: I will protect him because he hath known my name. 15 He shall cry to me, and I will hear him: I am with him in tribulation, I will deliver him, and I will glorify him.

16 I will fill him with length of days; and I will shew him my salvation.


(The picture is of Washington Praying at Valley Forge.)

3 comments:

On the side of the angels said...

this one flows better and is easier to remember...
1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
and abides in the shade of the Almighty
2 says to the Lord: "My refuge,
my stronghold, my God in whom I trust!"

3 It is he who will free you from the snare
of the fowler who seeks to destroy you;
4 he will conceal you with his pinions
and under his wings you will find refuge.

5 You will not fear the terror of the night
nor the arrow that flies by day,
6 nor the plague that prowls in the darkness
nor the scourge that lays waste at noon.

7 A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand fall at your right,
you, it will never approach;
4c his faithfulness is buckler and shield.

8 Your eyes have only to look
to see how the wicked are repaid,
9 you who have said: "Lord, my refuge!"
and have made the Most High your dwelling.

10 Upon you no evil shall fall,
no plague approach where you dwell.
11 For you has he commanded his angels,
to keep you in all your ways.

12 They shall bear you upon their hands
lest you strike your foot against a stone.
13 On the lion and the viper you will tread
and trample the young lion and the dragon.

14 Since he clings to me in love, I will free him;
protect you for he knows my name.
15 When he calls I shall answer: "I am with you,"
I will save him in distress and give him glory.

16 With length of days I will content him;
I shall let you see my saving power.

gemoftheocean said...

thanks = better translation!

WhiteStoneNameSeeker said...

God bless all of yours who served Karen.

God bless you too of course

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...