Search This Blog

Friday, August 17, 2007

If I got to "play liturgist"

This is the one prayer I would add to the Latin Rite. Maybe it would help get the point across about the Real Presence. I'm as appalled as most of you that a significant number of cradle Catholics seem to think the Eucharist is just a "symbol."

This prayer comes from the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom and is said by the people, after the Our Father, just before they are to come up for Holy Communion:

PEOPLE: O Lord, I believe and profess that You are truly Christ, the Son of the living God, Who came into the World to save sinners, of whom I am the first. Accept me as a partaker of your mystical supper, O Son of God, for I will not reveal Your mysteries to our enemies, nor will I give you a kiss as did Judas, but like the thief will I confess to You.

Remember me, O Lord, when You shall come into Your kingdom.

Remember me, O Master, when You shall come into Your kingdom.

Remember me, O Holy One, when You shall come into Your kingdom.

May the partaking of your holy mysteries, O Lord, be not for my judgment, or condemnation, but for the healing of soul and body.

O Lord, I also believe and profess that this, which I am about to receive, is truly Your most precious Body and Your life-giving Blood, which, I pray, make me worthy to receive for the remission of all my sins and for life everlasting. Amen

O God, be merciful to me a sinner.

God, cleanse my sins and have mercy on me.

O Lord forgive me for I have sinned without number.

4 comments:

Phil said...

That is truly a beautiful prayer. It make you wonder why such 'new' and borrowed prayers weren't inserted into the 'Novus Ordo'. Would have made it more attractive instead of it being Mass in the Methodist rite!

Anonymous said...

We say that prayer in Miles Jesu every day before receiving Holy Communion...wonderful isn't it?

Anonymous said...

i don't think i'd added you to my links will do!

gemoftheocean said...

Philip, yes...if you're going to do "borrowing" why not pick the best of the lot. I do like the idea of bringing up the gifts, which it seems the Ambrosians have done all along, but when they changed:

"Oh Lord I am not worthy, that you should come under my roof, speak but the word and my soul will be healed"

It would hAVE been way better had it been this prayer. "Streamlined" can be fine, and it essentially gets the job done...BUT -- on so important a point it might not hurt to belabor the point so everybody "gets it" and has time to ponder on it over the fullness of time!

I also like the way just before communion is given, the priest says: "Approach with fear and trembling" [or whatever the exact phrase is.]

and all those "six winged many eyed "creatures referred to from John are just "high fantastic." Love it.

If I could just SEE what the heck the priest is doing it would be perfect! [Or the priest is made of cellophane, whatever, I
m not particular!]

Jakcie, thanks for the link. Do you folks in MJ say it BEFORE the Mass starts? As wonderful as it is, I I don't think the general instructions allows for insertion into either the NO or Tridentine.

Anyway, I'd LOVE to be "in charge" for this one-itsy bitsy thing...by this Sunday, everyone would be saying it, I don't care if you have to pass out the mimeographed sheets in Bantu, just "get 'er done."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...