Search This Blog

Friday, December 28, 2007

St. John, the Evangelist


Oops! Meant to get this in a bit earlier Technically, it's still the 27th in Hawaii, so pretend I'm posting this one from Hawaii. There's something to love about all the Evangelists -- but John 6 goes to the core of the faith: "Unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood you have no life within you." Wow. In my book that's the #1 reason for being Catholic. Not only is John in many ways the most theologically developed of all the Evangelists, he's got his own special way of arranging his gospel. I've always enjoyed Scott Hahn's take on John's "4th cup- The Sacrament of the Eucharist."

Some of my other favorites from John include the prologue and the Wedding Feast of Cana. It's His first miracle. I've often wondered about the hidden family life of Jesus, Mary and Joseph before His public ministry. What marvelous and wonderful things Mary knew about the Son that made her know that Jesus could solve the problem of there being no more wine? I like the little details John gives - at the end of the gospel, for instance, when the apostles are fishing, and Jesus tells them to cast their nets on the other side of the boat.

John: Hey, James, remember that time when Jesus told us to cast our nets off the other side that day?

James: Yeah

John: Was it 163, or 153 fish we caught that day?
James: 153 -- and two tires

John: I'll edit out the tires, thanks!

A few years back when Teresa was still serving Mass and in high school, Father read that bit of the gospel and we happened to glance at each other just as he said that. We BOTH had to look away. Afterwards I said: I bet you were thinking the same thing I was. Her: YUP -- one hundred and fifty THREE Me: Right, not "oh, around 150...but one hundred fifty THREE." I don't normally read minds, but that time I did. [The only other time I read "someone's" mind, was when my spaniel and I read each other's minds...it only happened once!]

Had us in hysterics. Her mom thought we were nuts.
.

2 comments:

Mulier Fortis said...

I think (if I recall rightly) the number was symbolic... the number of different species of fish according to Jewish thought at the time... the number therefore represents the whole of humanity, ie. all people shall be gathered in and redeemed!

EC Gefroh said...

LOL Karen! I had to miss Mass on this feast day yesterday so I feel a little guilty about that. Sorry St. John :-(
BTW, isn't time difference a wonderful little device? My son can't wait till midnight to open his gifts so we celebrate NJ time which is 5 hours earlier :-)
BTW, I don't remember if I wished you a Merry Christmas. So, MELE KALIKIMAKA Karen...and Haouli Makahiki Hou!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...