Search This Blog

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Bible Study? I gotcher Bible Study Right Here


the other day I was reading an item on Swiss Miss's excellent blog, St. Monica's Kneeler. She mentioned she was doing a bible study class with Fr. Echert of EWTN. I commented in passing that since they were concentrating on Matthew, she might even want to do a read through of Mark, as it came first. She said that Fr. Echert specifically took exception to the notion of Mark being written prior to Matthew.

I was surprised, given that even with Catholic scholars today, the weight of opinion is that Mark came first. I then double checked my sources, The New Jerome Bible Commentary, edited by Raymond Brown, and others, and also An Introduction to the New Testament. I also checked with a priest friend and he concurred that in Catholic circles the opinion is "Mark first."

Then I looked up to see where Fr. Echert has studied, because to understand your teachers, you should look and see who their teachers were. According to EWTN he has his Licentiate [Master's Degree] from the Pontifical Biblical Institute in Rome and also did further study in Jerusalem. Then I found a page on the Pontifical Biblical Institute's website that had the material an aspiring candidate should have BEFORE he/she is accepted as a student.

One of the items noted:
"Dating of the writings of the New Testament (cf. Jerusalem Bible)"

Naturally, the Jerusalem Bible is one I don't have. So I hiked it over to Barnes and Noble to see what they would say regards dating of Mark and Matthew. Yep. Even they go with "Mark first."

I think Fr. Echert was a little naughty in not telling his students that he was holding an opinion that was definitely in the minority.

Kind of lucky I wasn't there! [Instructors either hate me or love me.]

At any rate, I'm glad the subject came up, because I found the "know this stuff before you even darken our door" page quite fascinating. Probably every Catholic should know the items listed.

2 comments:

swissmiss said...

Karen:
Thanks for calling my blog excellent! You and Father Echert both hold some minority opinions ;}
Anyway, thanks for the info on this topic. In the few short months I have been blogging, I have learned a lot. I wish Father had his own blog and we could ask him that way, but I will have to get to the bottom of this for my own satisfaction. I can only anticipate the controversy in Week 2. Stayed tuned.

Thanks, BTW, with your helpful comment on the video. Confirmed for me that I was doing things correctly, just needed some tweeking to get it to work.

gemoftheocean said...

It will be interesting to see what happens.

BTW, you aren't the only one with dialup -- see your blog for my comment re: keepvid.com and youtubex.com -- they've been no end helpful since I've come across them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...