Search This Blog

Monday, November 5, 2007

Happy Guy Fawkes Day - Sorta


I hope none of my English Catholic readers takes offense - I wanted to acknowledge your National Holiday and say how much I enjoy having you all as visitors. I gather the anti-popery that sometimes comes with some people celebrating this occasion is tough to swallow - but, hopefully, in most circles that taint is off and people can just mark the day with thanks that they are a free nation. And it is in that spirit that I wish you all a Happy 5th!

I was reading Daniel Hannan's blog in the Daily Telegraph, the full thread of which you can see here. One commentator, Mark K., I think had a fascinating observation which I quote:

"PARALLEL TIMELINE 400 YEARS ON.

Here is food for thought, to show how this country has become more tolerant.

If the persecutions to which Catholics had been subjected for several centuries had been re-applied to Muslims today, this would be the result:

2005 Foiled Al-Qaeda plot to blow up parliament.

2006 on - Muslims forced to renounce faith, mosques closed down.

2007 New national holiday where a replica of Mecca and an effigy of Mohammed or an imam are burned in public.

2020-2050 Religious police to raid suspected Muslim homes and imprison any family harbouring imams.

2078 Laws against Muslims generally relaxed, but a hoax "Islamist Al Qaeda plot" whipped up by government leads to rioting in the streets and resurgence of anti-Islamic feeling. Test Act bars any Muslim from holding public office

2101 Act of Settlement Mark Two - no heir to the throne allowed to marry a Muslim.

2229 Repeal of Test Act - Muslims no longer barred from public office.

2250 Muslim Council of Britain re-established.


P.S. The brains behind the Gunpowder Plot was a very English gentleman, Robert Catesby."

Food for thought for sure!

6 comments:

Mulier Fortis said...

It's not really a national holiday (ie. no time off work)... it's just an excuse to let off fireworks!

gemoftheocean said...

Ah heck --- is there any day that you can all safely celebrate together and just relax and have a good time with all the trimmings?

newhousenewjob said...

Funny, New Man expressed surprise at the weekend when I said I was going to go to a fireworks display - he thought I'd be totally opposed to celebrating Guy Fawkes'.

I don't think I'd go to the blatantly anti-Catholic celebrations in Lewes, but elsewhere it really is just an excuse to go out and enjoy the fireworks. Plus in Harrow, which is where I went, there's a very large Hindu population, so a lot of the fireworks were let off to celebrate Diwali rather than Guy Fawkes'.

WhiteStoneNameSeeker said...

I like to celebrate Guy Fawkes. I think he was a bit of a twit really-and got innocent people killed; and just HOW did he get all that Govt controlled gunpowder..? But even so, it is a way to remember what my ancesters went through.
I've blogged on this.

swissmiss said...

When I worked at a college in Seattle, the Purchasing Manager used to celebrate Guy Fawkes Day. He wasn't British, but may have been of British descent. I totally forgot about the day until I saw your post.

Happy Guy Fawkes!!

Orthfully Catholic said...

I don't we worry about the anti-Catholic aspect of November 5th anymore, after all we had a firework party at the seminary! As Mac says, its just an excuse to let of some bangers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...