Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Serendipity

Serendippity,
with bells on.

The dictionary defines serendipity as: "The faculty or phenomenon of making fortunate accidental discoveries." I relish these moments. A while back I decided to scan in a copy of a copy of an old photograph I have of my father, roughly age 17, taken around 1949. He'd finished basic training in the US Airforce, and had the classic military photo taken to send home to mom and dad. Well, the copy I have of the photo wasn't the greatest...so I was hoping to photoshop it to take out the imperfections in the copy. How fortunate I am new to Photoshop and don't know all the ins and outs...because if I HAD known-- I'm sure I couldn't have produced this -- nor thought to do so.

Six years ago this summer he "slipped the surly bonds of earth" - but it's a fine tribute. Thanks dad, for your service, and all the fine young people of your generation. A tour in the Air Force, and later service in the Naval Reserve rounded out your military career, but you did your daughter proud carrying out the long line of service in our family since pre-revolutionary days. Thanks again, dad. Thanks for everything.

(This post originally posted to My Telegraph, July 13, 2007)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...