Search This Blog

Monday, May 19, 2008

Out for a Drive

Digihairshirt reminded me her hubby was an Escondido boy, and by extension Archangel's Pulpit (her brother in law) ... and I was out on the Del Dios Highway the other day taking the scenic route,.This vid's especially for them. But you can watch too. :-D





[Hang the Arabs and their high gas prices.] This video is shot from the northern reaches of Rancho $anta Fe to just south of Escondido. There's a busy Interstate 15 a few miles to the east of where this is shot, and Del Dios is a little inland from I-5 and the ocean on the west. You can see a little bit of the effects of the huge fires we had last October. Given that the fires had jumped 10 lanes of I-15 and the emergency lanes to boot, it's amazing both sides of this road weren't more damaged than they were. Portions of the highway took a big hit. The "shelter in place" program REALLY helped the communities I passed through, a lot of land was impacted, but the houses were saved. If you saw footage of helos lifting water during the fires, chances are it was from this lake called Lake Hodges.

5 comments:

ArchAngel's Advocate said...

Thanks, Karen. I don't think Lake Hodges was that high when I last saw it (something about cracks in the dam). That route was the one we took (when I was in high school) to go to the beach & the Del Mar County Fair (at the racetrack) each summer. Never went to the races though (not old enough).

gemoftheocean said...

AA the 308 bus runs through there still. I guess so high school kids can go to the beach and the servants of rich people who don't "live in" can get to work! BTW, you could have *gone* to the track, just not placed any bets *legally*! one of my friends went almost every session with his folks from the time he was little. Only 15 year old I knew who read the racing form every day. His folks would place his bets for him. :-D He was also an expert poker player and the only one of us who consistently won. He knew "when to fold 'em." Mr. Statistics. U love Solana Beach.
We used to go the coast highway from UCSD to VG's doughnuts on post midnight runs when they were doing the cinnamon doughnuts for the next morning. Heaven. Seems to me up past it more towards Encinitas there usedto be a drive in with car hops and everything. Caught the tail end of that era.

ArchAngel's Advocate said...

Seems to be there was a German restraunt in that area with a umpah band and a dance floor. I only went once but it was a blast

The Digital Hairshirt said...

Mark viewed your video and said, "I don't miss it."

gemoftheocean said...

Ha-ha--- it's no a particularly gorgeous stretch of the road, but it's someplace I don't see every day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...