Search This Blog

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Our dogs think we are their gods!!!

Last night I was listening to the delightful Fr. Freddy in the parish hall of St. Anne's. They are giving a series of talks about the sanctity of the Mass.

Father was going into the notions of sacrifice in the Old Testament. He mentioned that the inferior being (man) has through natural law acknowledged a Supreme Being and man offers the best gifts as an oblation.


In a flash it occurred to me that perhaps when our dogs (in particular) bring us a bone and drop it at our feet they consider us to be their god! They tend to treat us that way. They wait for us to come home - they bring us things they kill (nothing major, in my case, but lizard halves!) -- they sit at our feet, and follow us everywhere.



Now CATS, otoh.....fergeddaboutit...they want us to worship them! They'd never pull you out of a burning building, for instance. Never mind they can't. They still wouldn't want to.




[Photo: Maggie the wonderdog, now angel dog. I miss her more than I can possibly say.]

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

DON'T BE FOOLED! The dogs know who is in charge! They know they are, and that we adore them! They are too wise to let us know the facts in case we rebel!

gemoftheocean said...

Yeah, but I'm a fool for love!

Packrat said...

Beautiful dog. She looks so happy. I know what you mean about missing pets when they are gone.

Cats - you are right. They do however bring us "goodies" in the form of mice, voles, snakes, big bugs. I always check to make sure they aren't bringing something in the house with them.

Anonymous said...

I also had an English Springer Spaniel. What loving dogs!

-DG

gemoftheocean said...

DG, once you've owned a spaniel, or it's owned you, there is no other. [Unless it's a dalmation, or a setter, or a labrador, or, or, or....I have to say for such a big dog she was a huge lap hound. Literally!]

packrat, so true. They're good at cornering roaches too.

ArchAngel's Advocate said...

Look at the Pom post on my blog for a look of true devotion

Anonymous said...

Karen, you need to get yourself another dog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...